Monday, August 30, 2010

News from our Heroes

GHC has received news from our Marines fighting on the front lines in Marjah.  It's a simple message... "The stoves kick ass!"  We are glad to hear it Marines!  Enjoy your warm meals, more care packages and water filtration systems are on their way!  Hoorah! 

GHC would like to thank it's members for jumping in and helping our Marines.  You are awesome!


Here one of our Home Town heroes receives a warm welcome from the village children.  (His name has been withheld due to security reasons).

Other Hero News:

"Dear GHC,
Thank you so much for the care packages I am receiving.  I share them with my unit.  We really appreciate the support."  A Marine stationed in Marjah
----------------------
The following is a portion of a letter GHC received from one of our Home Town Heroes. Portions have been removed for security reasons:

"Dear GHC,
I really appreciate everything you are doing for me.  I joined the Navy to be a corpsman.  That's one of the best things that happened to me.  I got attached to a Marine Company and just love it.  I got chosen to be part of this team and it has been the most incredible experiences that I've had.  I just love my team and they are like big brothers to me.  I am not letting anything happen to my brothers.  I plan on taking them all back home safe and sound. I won't let any of you down. Thank you for all your support and believing in me.  Say hello to everyone for me. With gratitude, Doc".

"Dear GHC,
Tell everyone we are all doing great, and the weather is cooling down. We are in the middle of a sandstorm, so, it makes it cooler. I just wish the breeze would stop. It's not like in Hood River, there is no wind surfing here. LOL.  Thanks again, MSGT Perez, Afghanistan"

Oregon National Guard News:
The members of the Hood River and The Dalles units of the Oregon National Guard have been conducting pre-deployment training at Gowen Field.  Thank your for your dedication and commitment!

Thanks received for a community member to our heroes to pass on:
"Dear Troops: God Bless and keep you in His love and protecting arms. You are in my daily prayers. We are so proud of all of you, protecting our beloved country. Again, may God keep you all safe and keep your families in His peace."

More Hero News:
We welcome Army Pvt. Shawn Chance home from a harrowing one-year deployment to Afghanistan. This soldier was assigned to the Fifth Stryker Brigade in Helmand Province that sustained many casualties. Welcome home Hero! We are glad that you returned safe and sound and it was our great honor to support you!

Army Sgt. Adam VandenBos could be heading to Afghanistan within the next two months.  GHC will be there to support you with great pride!

Army Pvt. Aaron Moses will be medically discharged in September due to back problems that have developed during his training at a base in Texas. Moses is a new father and will be transitioning back into the civilian world and we wish him and his family all of the best!

Army Pvt. Austin Grimm was severely burned in a training accident several months ago and is still recovering from his injuries. For that reason, he did not deploy to Afghanistan with his unit this spring and, although offered a discharge, he chose to remain in the military. Even in training, life can be dangerous for our Heroes and our prayers go out to this young soldier as with our all our heroes.

Army Pilot Amber Smith will complete her military contract in August and return to civilian life. Smith flew gunships to protect ground units during deployments to both Iraq and Afghanistan and we thank her very much for her excellent service. GHC had the opportunity to visit with Amber recently and it was enlightening to hear about her experiences in the combat zones. Her sisters, Lacey and Kelly, remain in the military as Army and Air Force pilots, respectively.

GHC would like to welcome home Army Ssgt. Enid Hernandez.  We appreciate your dedication and commitment.  We wish you well!  We are honored to be supporting you during your deployment.

Proudly,

Your GHC