Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Navy Corpsman Jeremy Fogle Sends GHC Greetings From Itay!

This letter came in yesterday from one our Home Town Heroes - Jeremy Fogle, a Navy Corpsman, who has been stationed in Naples, Italy, for more than one year now. He is the son of Daryn and Sue Fogle of Hood River.




"Good Afternoon Everyone, or early morning I should say. I'm writing to give you an update on all things Navy serving here in Italy. Lots of things have been happening as of late, so I hope you enjoy the update.

Since writing you last, I have transferred departments. From working in the Emergency Room, I have been transferred to the Optometry/Ophthalmology clinics. My duties here range anywhere from front desk work, eye screenings, deployment packages, eye exams, and eye surgeries with the doctors. It's not nearly a broad a spectrum working with the patients in the ER, but I have more responsibility working here, being more one on one with the patients that I have a chance to interact with. I actually have enjoyed working with the doctors and learning all these new things I am putting in a special package to become an Optometry Technician, which would give me a specialty rating on top of being a Corpsman. I would be able to work in any Spectacle Processing lab, along with any Optometry Clinic at any Naval Hospital or Branch Medical Clinic around the World. This package should be entered into the system within the next few weeks, and I will find out if I have been accepted or denied. I would leave Naples around May 2011, report to Virginia where the school is for 8 months and then have the chance to re-pick orders. That is all speculation, seeing as if my package is accepted. If all goes well I would love to pick either Everett, Washington or Rota, Spain as my next duty station. Washington would be great so I could be close to home, but after traveling to Spain, it would be my ideal choice.

Besides working in the Hospital, I have been doing lots of traveling this last summer. Flights in Europe are ridiculously cheap on every airline so I have taken advantage of that to the fullest.

The first trip I have been on was to Barcelona, Spain. I fell in love with Spain when I went there, it was such a vibrant city, with the most elaborate architecture and some of the nicest people I have ever met. Las Ramblas was the main and busiest streets and one of the main attractions of this beautiful City.

The next trip I went on was to London. A friend and I went for a quick weekend trip to see Lady Gaga perform at the O2 Arena there, along with a little sightseeing. It was also a very beautiful city, and they have some of the best Fish and Chips that I have EVER tasted. I thought the best part of this trip was to be able to see "Big Ben" and take a trip on the London Eye, along with taking the infamous photo in the phone booth.

After this I took a trip to Ibiza, Spain. Ibiza is Europe's equivalent to our Spring Break hot spot of Cancun. They have the beaches, the clubs, and most important all the 20 something year olds to make this town into a crazy hot spot. It was right before pre season when I went, so I was able to keep my wallet in check but also have a relaxing but enjoyable time.

My next trip was to Malta for my 23rd Birthday. Malta is its own Country along with a couple other Islands that make up the Maltese Islands. It's a beautiful place, but also mostly for partying, another spring break hot spot, if you will. Which is the exact reason why I chose to spend it there with me and 3 other of my closest friends. We also went to visit the Island of Gozo which had some of the most crystal clear blue water I have ever seen. It was breath taking to be able to swim in such clean water.

I went to visit the Island of Ischia which is right off the Coast of Naples, Italy. It's about a 40 minute ferry to the Island and then from there it feels like you're in a completely different country. We visited Negumbo Spa which had about 12 different naturally heated pools, and a personal beach that you could use if the pools weren't for your liking.

In total we spent about 4 days there, which is just enough to make you forget about the hustle and bustle of the busy Naples city, and just enough to make you not want to return to that same city.

My most recent trip was to the city of Madrid, Spain. A group of 7 of us went for our 4th of July. We stayed right next to one of the main and busiest plaza, Plaza Mayor. I definitely recommend visiting this city if you ever get a chance. It's a little more industrialized than Barcelona, but to each their own. I visted the Real Madrid stadium where the ever so famous Cristiano Ronaldo plays. It's was pretty exciting to be in the city on Saturday the 3rd when Spain won their game against Germany. They also had some of the most beautiful Parks (parques) and gardens I have ever seen. The most epic thing was being able to witness a historical Bullfight. It was very gruesome, but a must see in my eyes.

I also have included some photos from the 112th Annual Corpsman Ball that was held at the Holiday Inn Resort here in Naples, Italy to commemorate the service of the most decorated Corps in the United States Navy. A local to Hood River Jillian Jones was my date, and it was an honor to have her attend and witness what the Hospital Corp stands represents.

I hope you enjoy these photos, and I will be sending you an update soon with more updates." -- V/R HN Fogle
______________________
Thanks V/R HN Fogle, we appreciate the updates!
Proudly,
Your GHC